Wednesday 17 July 2013

St. Ives 2013

Harbour

If you go to Cornwall, St. Ives is one of the places you have to pay a visit. Even though it's very touristy, it has kept a certain kind of charm.

St. Ives is located in the northern part of West Cornwall and well known as the centre of art. When I arrived, one thing became immediately clear to me: the light is just as special as often described in travel reports - reflected by the water gleaming in all kinds of blues and greens.


When the sky changes, the blue and green shades of the water also change and the harbour and Porthmeor beach really look like a beautiful painting.
Tate Gallery

If you like modern art, the ''Tate Gallery" is a must-see. On the way to the ''Tate Gallery"I noticed a lot of pretty little cottages in narrow streets, which were painted in white, sandstone, light blue and pink. Since I went to St. Ives, I can understand why so many painters decided to live and work here.
Porthwidden beach








It wasn't the art in the Tate that I enjoyed most, but the fantastic view of Porthmeor beach from the café.





If you are interested in history, why not go to  the ''St. Ives Museum".

Back in the harbour area, there's one souvenir shop after another, all of which more or less offer wonderful paintings and prints of St. Ives. I can recommend a passage called "Harbour Galleries", with paintings of the "Blue Harbour Gallery", and glass art of Desiree Hope, a local artist. I bought one piece of her glass art - simply wonderful.

Before I left, I strolled along the coastline of Porthminster beach and took in the special atmosphere.

Porthmeor Beach



Porthminster beach













Porthminster beach


There are several more sandy beaches, if you walk eastwards, where you can enjoy picnics or swimming. Even though St.Ives is a place full of tourists, it has a light atmosphere so I would definitley like to return one day.


No comments:

Post a Comment