Wednesday 17 July 2013

Minack Theatre, Porthcurno, 2013



The Minack Theatre has become a special place for me.

The stage
It is located in the southern part of West Cornwall, close to Porthcurno beach. It was a rainy day when I went there. I immediately noticed the very intense scent of the flowers in the garden, which was beautifully laid out above the theatre. I descended the stony steps very slowly, not only because it was wet but to take in the special atmosphere. Suddenly, it started to rain heavily, became very windy and the sky clouded over - the picture it created and atmosphere was very dramatic!


The rows




Some will think the open air theatre is a Roman legacy, but infact it was created by an extraordinary English lady, Rowena Cade (1893-1983) with only a few men helping her to build it.


She became interested in theatre at an early age and designed costumes for theatre plays in Derbyshire, where she grew up. After WWI and the death of her father, she bought a house at Minack Rock. When asked, she agreed to perform in her garden for them. Soon after, when the numbers of visitors began to increase, she decided to build a theatre within the rock below her house.




Look to Porthcurno beach
Shakespeare's "Tempest" was the 1st play to be performed in the Minack Theatre in 1932. 

The rows


Rowena Cade continued working for over 50 years and continued to extend the theatre more and more. She died shortly before her 90th birthday.




To me the stony theatre looked amazing. The rocks behind it, seemed as if they had fallen down from the sea. Porthcurno beach, on the left side of the theatre was huge, and the water gleamed in different shades of blue. Even though it was raining and windy, it was still rather mild.

Porthcurno Beach
I went around the whole theatre, step by step, and was deeply touched. How much love for theatre and for detail of architecture must Rowena Cade have had in her time, and what an unbreakable will to believe in herself to see it finished. An extraordinary woman. 

For about half an hour I stood near the top rows, facing Porthcurno beach, feeling the raindrops dancing on my face, listening to the sound of the sea. I got totally carried away. But before I got lost, I went to see a little exhibition about Rowena Cade. 

The garden


Besides all the various impressions, I found some exceptional Celtic jewellery in the shop and treated myself to something special ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment