Wednesday 17 July 2013

Falmouth & Trebah Garden, 2013


After my stay in Penzance, I went to Falmouth. Several buses go there every hour.

Gyllyngvase Beach
Falmouth has got the 3rd biggest natural deep-water harbour in the world. In 1688 Falmouth was made the Royal Mail packet station. Until 1850, all mail and goods were transported from here into the colonies, which is consequently why seedlings of sub-tropical plants were taken into the UK and now can be seen in gardens such as Trebah or Glendurgan.
Falmouth is the largest ship repair complex of the UK. You can feel the maritime flair thoughout in the entire town. If you are interested in the maritime history, why not visit the "National Maritime Museum".

Harbour

Besides that, Falmouth has its own university with a reputation of excellence in art, media, design, writing and perfomance.

Gyllyngvas Beach

It felt like 30 C with sunshine throughout the day, when I arrived. I walked to my guest house, which was close to Gyllyngvase beach. When I got there, I was offered coffee and cake in the garden with sea views. I thought this must be paradise :)


Garden of my guest house


A short time later, I decided to go to the beach and enjoyed the rest of the day there. I even got a suntan. It's a family friendly beach with a nice cafè nearby. If you walk eastwards, you can reach the beaches of Swanpool and Maenporth.


Trebah Garden



Besides the beach, I really liked the colourful Victorian facades of the shops in the atmospheric shopping area, located close to the harbour. A wide selection of shops offer special Cornish chocolate, marmelade, soap and some cosmetics.


There are two cafés I can really recommend. I tried Tapas at "Dolly's Café" which turned out to be one of the best in England.
Tip: If you like cake, you could try some at "Annie's Kitchen".


Trebah Garden



The next day I went to the garden of the gardens - ''Trebah Garden", which was most definitely  worth a visit. I spent 3 hours there, taking a long walk through a landscape of all kinds of trees and plants I had never seen before.

Trebah Garden

Trebah Garden












A big thank you to the tourist office staff, who were so kind and who  gave me a lot of brochures and maps of the town and the area.





No comments:

Post a Comment