Sunday 28 July 2013

Newquay, Truro, Padstow, 2013


Newquay Harbour

Newquay was totally different from the places in Cornwall that I had previously visited. It's known as a surfer's paradise and it's definitely  true. There are several huge beaches and the highest waves of the UK can be found here. I really enjoyed walking on Tolcarne beach, at low tide, one morning, and for me, it was an ideal base to go to other nearby towns such as Truro and Padstow.

Truro Cathedral


One day, I went to Truro, which is the administrative centre of Cornwall. To begin with, I visited Truro Cathedral which totally overwhelmed me. I liked the Neo-Gothic style and the colourful Victorian windows. Furthermore, I was deeply impressed by the huge Father Willis organ, dated from 1887. During my visit, the male choir suddenly started their rehearsal for their evening concert, so I happily sat down and listened. The sound of the voices along with the accoustics sounded great. I left after an hour and walked through the streets, passing by many Georgian and Victorian houses. The cobblestones completed the pretty old scenery.

Truro Cathedral

The tourist office offer some unique souvenirs, for instance a Cornish Heart bag and Celtic bookmarks to name a few. Besides that, I bought "Tregothnan" tea, the only tea grown in England - lovely!

I even tried my first Cornish pasty in Truro, which was delicious !



If you would like to know more about Cornwall's history, I can recommend the "Royal Cornwall Museum".

The last day of my holiday, I decided to go to Padstow, a fishing village in North Cornwall. It was a sunny morning, and was supposed to be a bright, clear day. At the bus station in Newquay, I met a nice woman from Australia. I felt like I had already known her for ages :). While we were talking, we noticed we were both going to the same destination.

Padstow Harbour

Prideaux Place
After having arrived in Padstow, I recognized the harbour area was often featured in travel reports and films - it looked really charming. The streets and houses seemed well-maintained. We headed to Prideaux Place, one of the well-known manor houses of England that I had been hoping to see for the last 15 years When I stood in front of it, I just couldn't believe my eyes. The building was as beautiful as shown on TV or in pictures.









Garden of Prideaux Place

We took part in a guided tour and learnt more about the history of the Prideaux-Brune family. I felt like I'd never ever want to leave here. Afterwards, I saw Mr. and Mrs. Prideaux-Brune sitting in the café, which was close to the entrance. The tour guide introduced me to them and I was kindly allowed to take a photo with them. I'm really grateful to have seen this special place, as well as to have met its owners.

Back in the town centre, we enjoyed a little concert of a brass band that had started playing in the harbour area in our absence. Before we left, we tried some Cornish pasties and mine happened to be the best one of my holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment